Two of the Winkler Center’s oldest books

by Alex Bádue

The Winkler Center possesses a vast collection of primary sources that include monographs on every branch of medicine and the history of medicine in Cincinnati and in the United States. The scope of these rare books also go beyond medical topics and American borders.  Two of these books date back to seventeenth-century Europe, marking some of the oldest books in the Winkler Center primary collection. In their own time, each of these books introduced groundbreaking content that planted the seeds for subsequent development in their respective areas.

Two of the oldest books in the Winkler Center: Carre's Pietas Parisiensis to the left, and Ciucci's Il Filo D'Arianna to the right

Two of the oldest books in the Winkler Center: Thomas Carre’s Pietas Parisiensis (1666) to the left, and Filippo Ciucci’s Il Filo D’Arianna (1682) to the right.

Thomas Carre’s Pietas Parisiensis, Or A Short Description of the Pietie and Charitie Comonly Exercised in Paris, Which Represents in Short the Pious Practices of the Whole Catholike Church  was published in Paris in 1666. Carre (1599-1674) was an English Catholic priest who lived in France for most of his life and spoke French fluently. Most of his output concerns the topic of spirituality, and he was the first to translate into English several books and treatises by major seventeenth-century French spiritual writers, such as those by Jean-Pierre Camus (1584-1652) and Cardinal Richelieu (1585-1642), whom Carre knew personally. Carre also worked closely with Richard Smith (1568-1655), Bishop of Chalcedon, the second Bishop of England after Catholicism was banned in 1599. Smith moved to Paris in 1609 where he, too, met Richelieu and lived until his death. In Pietas Parisienses, Carre relates Bishop Smith’s work in aiding the Cardinal Archbishop of Paris. Carre provides a unique description of Parisian life in the seventh century and an account of the religious practices and charity in Paris, which the author believed should have been a model for English Catholics.

Cover page Pietas

Cover page of Thomas Carre’s Pietas Parisiensis.

 

Carre’s real name was Miles Pinkney. He was baptized in the Church of England, but reconciled to the Catholic Church as a teenager.  He started using the alias Thomas Carre in 1618, when he entered the English College at Douai (in Northern France). He moved to Paris in 1634, where with Richelieu and Bishop Smith, he oversaw the growth of an English-Catholic community.

 

Antonio Filippo Ciucci (who died in 1710) was and Italian physician of the seventeenth century. He published his book Il Filo D’Arianna in the city of Macerata, Italy, in 1682. This was one of the first treatises on forensic toxicology, i.e., the use of science for criminal and civil laws. This book is also considered the first treatise of legal medicine written in a secular language (ancient Italian) and not in Latin. Its content features original points regarding poisoning diagnosis, which were later furthered by other scientists and toxicologists.

Cover page Filo

Cover page of Filippo Ciucci’s Il Filo D’Arianna.

 

The first part of the book’s long title translates to “The Thread of Ariadne, Or a True Faithfull Provision to Those who Exercise Surgery to Come Out of the Labyrinth of the Relations and Reconnaissance of Various Diseases and Deaths.” In Ancient Greek mythology, Minos, King of Crete, put his daughter Ariadne in charge of the labyrinth where sacrifices were made in honor of greater Gods, such as Poseidon and Athena. Ariadne fell in love with Theseus when he volunteered to kill the labyrinth’s Minotaur. She gave him a sword and a ball of thread so that he could find his way out of the labyrinth. Ciucci believed that his treatise provided enough information and resources for investigators, lawyers, and physicians to solve complicated crime scenes the same way that Ariadne’s thread successfully helped Theseus in his endeavor.

The Intriguing History of Cincinnati’s Dunham Hospital

Inscription and tuberculosis symbol from the
stone entrance to Dunham Hospital.
This photo serves as a link to the finding aid for the Cincinnati Branch Tuberculosis (Dunham)
Hospital Collection.

By: Nathan Hood

A few miles west of downtown Cincinnati is the Dunham Recreation Center: a significant expanse of land mostly open to the public. The land however, was not always recreational; at one time it was the location of the Dunham Hospital – the same hospital after which the Center is named. Now long since abandoned, Dunham Hospital was once a branch of the Cincinnati Hospital and a means of treating as well as quarantining tuberculosis patients. But such facts are only a small portion of this institution’s rich history! Indeed, the hospital’s story arguably begins sometime during the early 1800’s.

Continue reading

Celebrating the History of The College of Nursing with the Seventh Annual Cecil Striker Society Lecture

Dr. Cecil Striker

Cecil Striker
This photo serves as a link to the article “Dr. Cecil Striker,
An Essential Founder of the ADA.”

By: Nathan Hood

On Thursday, April 14th, the Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions is excited to present its seventh annual Cecil Striker Society Lecture! This year, faculty and students celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the College of Nursing’s Bachelor Degree – which was implemented in the early 1916 in tandem with the creation of the School of Nursing and Health of the Cincinnati General Hospital. This baccalaureate program was, according to the Winkler Center’s records, the first of its kind in the United States and a product of the ‘melding’ between Cincinnati’s pre-existing nursing program and that of the University. This “merging” of affiliations between the nursing education program, the hospital, and the University was only the second instance of its kind in the country. Indeed, the event was revolutionary in more ways than one…

Continue reading

Rare Cincinnati Pharmacy College Resources Now Available in UC’s Digital Resource Commons

queencityedited

This photo serves as a link to the work in our UC Library Catalog.

We are excited to announce that excerpts from Pharmaceutical Education In the Queen City : 150 Years of Service, 1850-2000 by Michael A. Flannery and Dennis B. Worthen, originally published in 2001, documenting the students and graduates who attended the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy, Queen City College of Pharmacy, and the University of Cincinnati College of Pharmacy from 1850 through 2000 are now available in the UC Digital Resource Commons (DRC). The DRC started as an initiative of the OhioLink consortium of libraries to create a digital repository service that would help streamline access to unique collections and facilitate scholarly communication.

Continue reading

The 25th General Hospital of WWII Experience: Airbase A-92 at Sint-Truiden

Airbase A-92

Modern photograph of Airbase A-92, Brustem.
Photo credit: Sue Carney.

By: Nathan Hood

While the University of Cincinnati’s 25th General Hospital was departing for the World War II European Theater of Operations in the early 1940’s, Germany had already invaded Belgium and had secured a small, Belgian military airbase in the village of Brustem. Brustem remains today as a part of the Sint Truiden community (also known in French as Saint-Trond) and exists only a handful of miles North-West of the Belgian Caserne buildings in Tongres which were occupied by the University of Cincinnati 25th General Hospital beginning in 1945.

Continue reading

The Christ Hospital Winkler Center Collaborative Oral History Program Kicks Off with an Interview of Dr. William Schreiner

Screenshot 2016-01-14 16.20.38

This image serves as a link to the
interview with Dr. William Schreiner in
UC Libraries Mediaspace.
The entire Winkler Center Oral History Collection is now easily available in a streaming form
through the abovementioned website.

We are proud to announce the completion of the first interview in The Christ Hospital Health Network in collaboration with the Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions Oral History Series; our first interview subject was one of Cincinnati’s most prominent physicians who is also considered to be “The Doctors’ Doctor”, Dr. William Schreiner.  The entire interview is now available in a streaming format through the UC Libraries mediaspace.

Continue reading

Remembering The University of Cincinnati’s 25th General Hospital of WWII

Murray Lambert Rich, MD: husband to the former Miss Mabel Burrows and father of
John M. Rich, James B. Rich, and Charles L. Rich.
This photo serves as a link to the blog,
“A Special Visit with Dr. Rich.

By: Nathan Hood

In the summer of 1941, the United States federal government requested that the Cincinnati General Hospital – now a division of the University Hospital – organize the 25th General Hospital. Intended as a military organization similar to the one during WWI by the same name, the project gained momentum after Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The General Hospital was soon after “ordered into active military service … on June 1, 1943.” The 25th was fully organized by June 10, 1943, at Nichols General Hospital. The General Hospital began with 500 enlisted men, 56 military officers (physicians from the Cincinnati General Hospital), 105 nurses, 3 hospital dietitians, 2 physio-therapists, and 1 warrant officer. The 25th was trained at the Medical Field Service School, Carlisle Barracks, in Pennsylvania. Part of this training required the entire organization (exempting female personal) to complete a 10-day “bivouac” at Ft. Knox, Kentucky, from the 17th to the 26th of July, 1943. Here the 25th was rigorously tested under field conditions.

Continue reading

THE JEWISH HOSPITAL & CINCINNATI JEWS IN MEDICINE. Frederic Krome’s New Book is Now Available

9781467118491

This image serves as a link to the
official website for the book.

The Winkler Center is proud to announce the publication of The Jewish Hospital & Cincinnati Jews In Medicine by Dr. Frederic Krome; Dr. Krome is an Associate Professor of History at the UC Clermont campus.

While Dr. Krome utilized many collections on or relating to Jewish Hospital in libraries and archives throughout the Cincinnati area, the bulk of his research and the majority of photographs utilized in the book stemmed from the Winkler Center’s extensive collection.

Also, in 2012, Dr. Krome presented on the history of the medical tradition within the Cincinnati Jewish community at the third annual Cecil Striker Society lecture series; a video of Dr. Krome’s presentation is now streaming through the Winkler Center website and is accessible by clicking on the photograph below.

Continue reading

Join Us for Lunch and a Film: An Interview with Dr. William A. Altemeier

Impressions-In-Medicine_AltemeierThe Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions will be hosting the Impressions in Medicine inaugural event, Lunch and a Film: An Interview with Dr. William A. Altemeier and you are invited.

The event will be held from 12:00-1:00 PM on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 in the Stanley J. Lucas Board Room in the Medical Sciences Building (see map below).

We’ll be airing excerpts from one of the more significant oral history interviews from our extensive collection with an introduction by Secretary of the Henry R. Winkler Center Advisory Board, Dr. William Camm, along with a complimentary lunch and a viewing of an exhibit on the history of Cincinnati General Hospital.

Please feel free to pass this invitation on to anyone you know who may be interested in attending the lecture.

Continue reading

Controversy to Concurrence: The Modern and Current UC Health Holmes Hospital

By: Nathan Hood

DSCN1137 edited

Christian R. Holmes Hospital,
opened May of 1929.
This photo serves as a link to the Winkler Center blog, “The Origin and Evolution of The Christian R. Holmes Hospital.”

The Christian R. Holmes Hospital opened in May of 1929, but it wasn’t until the University of Cincinnati’s proposal process for a new Holmes Hospital Auxiliary building that any serious controversy arose over the Holmes Hospital’s modern function. As has been enumerated before, from the time of its opening the Holmes Hospital was intended to function as a private institution exclusively utilized by the College of Medicine faculty. The Hospital has long since been converted to an extension of the University Hospital; but its history, even still contentious today, is definitely worth understanding because of its pivotal role in sculpting the University medical institution Cincinnati knows today.

Continue reading

Bad Behavior has blocked 588 access attempts in the last 7 days.