The vision of Life of the Mind is to celebrate University of Cincinnati faculty research, scholarship and creative output and to foster the free and open exchange of ideas and discourse. Started in spring 2011, Life of the Mind is an annual lecture series featuring interdisciplinary conversations with UC faculty around a one-word theme.
The present format includes the following features:
- Two lectures per year – one in the fall and one in the spring. The next Life of the Mind lecture is planned for September of 2015.
- Each Life of the Mind lecture features one UC faculty member presenting his or her work and expertise in concert with the theme. The presentation is not simply be a recitation of the presenter’s work but promotes a point of view and will challenge faculty for further discussion.
- A panel of three faculty responds to and discusses the lecture from diverse perspectives, and a moderator encourages audience engagement.
- The Life of the Mind Steering Committee seeks nominations for featured UC faculty presenters. Each featured UC faculty presenter should be an expert in their respective fields with a proven record of scholarship or creation of works, as well as be an engaging speaker able to address an audience with broad interests.
The first Life of the Mind lecture incorporating these changes was held March 26 and featured Dr. Jeffrey Whitsett. To watch a full video of his lecture, visit www.libraries.uc.edu/lifeofthemind.
Criteria for the Featured UC Faculty Presenter. Successful candidates should be:
- Accomplished, distinguished UC faculty member with national/international reputation and whose achievements illuminate the work of the university and beyond.
- Proven record of scholarship or creative works. Recognized as an expert in their field of study, research or creation of works.
- Experienced at presenting their work to a diverse audience outside the classroom.
- Excellent and engaging speaker able to relate to a non-specialist audience.
- Provocative topic of study/research/creative work. The speaker should ask questions that span broad intellectual interests and spark conversation from multiple perspectives.
Process for Nominations:
To nominate a UC faculty member to present at Life of the Mind, e-mail email@example.com to request a Nomination Form. Completed forms are due by Friday, June 19. Self nominations are welcome.
The Life of the Mind Steering Committee will review all nominations and select the Featured UC Faculty Presenter. Members of the Steering Committee are: Co-chairs Tracy Herrmann and Xuemao Wang, Melissa Cox Norris (ex-officio), Peter Stambrook, Jeffrey Tilman, Carol Wheeler-Strother and Robert Faaborg. Life of the Mind is sponsored by the Office of the President and organized by the University of Cincinnati Libraries and Faculty Senate.