The Archives and Rare Books Library recently processed a new collection of records documenting activities of the University of Cincinnati Bearcat Bands from 1954 to 1996. The records are part of the University Archives through the UC Band Alumni Association. Operating as a department within the Division of Student Life, UC Bearcat Bands provides students of all majors with opportunities for performing musically while obtaining fine arts credit. The UC Band Alumni Association provides alumni opportunities to stay connected with UC Bearcat Bands and other alumni after graduation. Alumni members can also participate in the Community/Alumni Band.
This two-box collection offers a look into the operations of the various bands that made up “UC Bearcat Bands” during the years, including marching band, symphonic band, varsity band, and stage band. The addition of this collection to the holdings of the University Archives provides breadth to the research material available on student life at the University.
Highlights of the collection include:
- Photographs of band members and activities, mostly from the 1970s and 1980s
- Records of performances and band activities, such as orientation, band camp, high school band nights, and Varsity Vanities
- Records of band organizations, such as band council, band sponsors, and the Alumni Association
- Programs from the Cincinnati Classic and Music Bowl competitions sponsored by UC in the 1980s
- Records of activities surrounding the 75th Anniversary of the UC Bearcat Bands in 1995-1996
-Written by Janice Schulz