The Life of the Mind Steering Committee is seeking nominations for the next featured UC faculty member to present at the Sept. 20 lecture. The chosen UC faculty presenter should be an expert in their respective field with a proven record of scholarship or creation of works, as well as be an engaging speaker able to address an audience with broad interests.
In addition, the successful candidate will be:
- Accomplished, distinguished UC faculty member with national/international reputation and whose achievements illuminate the work of the university and beyond.
- Recognized as an expert in their field of study, research or creation of works.
- Experienced at presenting their work to a diverse audience outside the classroom.
- Excellent and engaging speaker able to relate to a non-specialist audience.
- Provocative topic of study/research/creative work. The speaker should ask questions that span broad intellectual interests and spark conversation from multiple perspectives.
The vision of Life of the Mind, a lecture series initiated by President Santa J. Ono, is to celebrate UC faculty research, scholarship and creative output and to foster the free and open exchange of ideas and discourse.
Launched in the spring 2011, Life of the Mind is an annual lecture series featuring interdisciplinary conversations with UC faculty. There are two lectures per year – one in the fall and one in the spring. Each Life of the Mind lecture features one UC faculty member presenting his or her work and expertise in concert with an articulated theme.
The presentations are not simply a recitation of the presenter’s work, but promote a distinct point of view and challenge further discussion. A panel of three faculty members respond to and discuss the lecture from diverse perspectives, and a moderator encourages audience engagement.
To nominate a UC faculty member to present at Life of the Mind on September 20, 2016, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request a Nomination Form. Completed forms are due by 5pm, Friday, July 1. Self nominations are welcome.
The Life of the Mind Steering Committee will review all nominations and select the Featured UC Faculty Presenter. Members of the Steering Committee are: Co-chairs Xuemao Wang and Sally Moomaw, Melissa Cox Norris and Jenny Mackiewicz (ex-officio), Peter Stambrook, Jeffrey Tilman, Carol Wheeler-Strother and Robert Faaborg. Life of the Mind is sponsored by the Office of the President and organized by the University of Cincinnati Libraries and the Faculty Senate.
For more information, or to view past Life of the Mind lectures, visit libraries.uc.edu/lifeofthemind.html.