The University of Cincinnati Libraries have contracted with the outside firm RATIO Architects, Inc., on the creation of the Libraries Master Plan. An international architectural firm, Ratio has extensive experience designing for academic libraries including the University of Illinois-Urbana, Purdue University, and Saint Louis University among others. For more on Ratio, visit their website at http://www.ratiodesign.com/.
In creating a long-term vision for library spaces, Ratio Architects will conduct a comprehensive look and needs assessment for library facilities as expressed by employees, users, and other invested parties. The Master Planning process takes 12-18 months, and the final suggestions will span the next 5-15 years.
Working closely with Ratio will be the Master Planning Core Team comprised of:
- Mary Beth McGrew; University of Cincinnati Campus Architect
- Sue Doran; University of Cincinnati Senior Planner
- Xuemao Wang; Dean and University Librarian
- Leslie Schick; Sr. Associate Dean of Library Services & Director of the Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library
- Amanda Welter; Director of Facilities
Assisting the Master Planning Core Team will be faculty and staff members of the Master Planning Advisory Team. This group will provide facts and figures, as well as observations about present and future library functions. The members of the Master Planning Advisory Team are:
- Ted Baldwin; Director of the Science Libraries
- Mikaila Corday; Senior Library Specialist in Electronic Resources
- Jenny Doctor; Head of the Albino Gorno Memorial Music Library
- Tiffany Grant; Research Informationist
- Ben Kline; Assistant Director of Research, Teaching, and Services
- Sally Moffitt; Reference Librarian and Selector
- Peter Poulos; Computer & Information Analyst
- Holly Prochaska; Preservation Librarian
- Becky Leporati; Digital Literacy Fellow
In addition to the aforementioned groups, the external community (faculty, students, university leadership and others) will be consulted during the planning stage via focus groups.
The first step in the master planning process was the official kick off meeting with the Master Planning Core Team on Wednesday, April 26, at which time the team toured the College and Departmental Libraries and met with the heads of each location.
More about the Master Planning, can be read on the Dean’s Blog. For more information about UC Libraries’ transformation and future space planning, see our 2015/2016 progress report Transforming Our Spaces.